- Ph.D. in Romance Languages and Literatures, Harvard University
- B.A. in French, Chatham College
Courses Commonly Taught
- France and Its Others: Race, Ethnicity and Difference in French Cinema (FR 41)
- Revelations and Revolutions: French-language Autobiography and Self-Representation (FR 166)
- Being beur in France: littérature et cinéma de la génération beure (FR 121)
- Le 17 octobre 1961, lorsque la littérature raconte l’histoire (FR 120)
- Jewish North Africa in Literature and Film (FR 172/Cross listed with Jewish Studies 177)
- Ninette of Sin Street
- Stanford University Press, 2017
- Being Contemporary
- French Literature, Culture and Politics Today
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- Against Autobiography
- Albert Memmi and the Production of Theory
- University of Nebraska Press, 2013
- “The Critical Pulse of the Contre-enquête: Kamel Daoud on the Maghrebi Novel In French.” Contemporary French and Francophone Studies. Special issue on the Contemporary Maghrebi Novel in French. 20.1 (2016) 37-46.
- “In the Absence of the Archive (Paris, October 17, 1961).” South Central Review 31.1 (Spring 2014) 34-54.
- “Are We Post-Francophone Yet? Coming to Terms with Dissatisfaction.” In Francophone Cultures and Geographies of Identity. Eds. Adlai Murdoch and Zuszsanna Fagyal. Cambridge Scholars Press, 2013.
- “Du jeu dans le texte: nouvelles pistes de lecture.” Littérature et jeu: des enjeux essentiels. Ed. Samir Marzouki. Series: Documents pour l’Histoire des Francophonies 28. Peter Lang, 2013. 81-86.
- “When Good Sentiments Make for ‘Bad’ Cinema: Reconsidering Allegory in Un été à la Goulette.” Contemporary French and Francophone Studies 17.1 (Winter 2013) 28-37.
- “La Banlieue to the Moon: Rachid Djaïdani’s Displacement of Paris.” Contemporary French Civilization 35.2 (2011) 87-109.
- “Blindness, the Visual and Ekphrastic Impulses. Albert Memmi Colors in the Lines.” French Studies: New Ekphrastic Poetics (Special Issue). 64.3 (July 2010) 317-328.
- “Hostages of Authenticity: Paul Smaïl, Azouz Begag and the Invention of the Beur Author.” French Forum 34.2 (Spring 2009) 113-130.
- “My Algeria Hurts: A Review Essay of Denis Guénoun’s A Semite: A Memoir of Algeria.” Journal of the Society for Contemporary Thought and the Islamicate World. Online journal, pub date: January 13, 2015.
- The Desert or The Adventures of Jubaïr el-Mammi by Albert Memmi. Translated from the French by Judith Roumani. CELAAN Review. In production; forthcoming June 2017.
- Le Partage des mémoires: La guerre d’Algérie en littérature, au cinéma et sur le web by Djemaa Maazouzi, H-France 16.189 (Sept 2016). 3 pgs.
- Calypso Jews: Jewishness in the Caribbean Literary Imagination by Sarah Phillips Casteel, Contemporary Jewry 36.2 (Oct 2016): 271-273.
- Remembering French Algeria: Pieds-Noirs, Identity and Exile by Amy Hubbell, French Studies 70.4 (Oct 2016): 625-626.
- The Allure of the Archive by Arlette Farge, Francosphères 3.1 (2014) 115-116.
- Postcolonial Francophone Autobiographies: From Africa to the Antilles by Edgard Sankara and Postcolonial Poetics: Genre and Form, edited by Patrick Crowley and Jane Hiddleston, Journal of Postcolonial Writing 48.5 (Dec 2012): 566-568.
- Israeli-Palestinian Conflict in the Francophone World, edtied by Natalie Debrauwere-Miller, Contemporary French Civilization 35.2 (2011) 181-84.
- (French-English) Albert Memmi. “Autoportrait” in Souffles: A Critical Anthology from the Moroccan Journal of Culture and Politics. Eds. Olivia Harrison and Teresa Villa-Ignacio. Stanford UP, 2015.
- (French-English, co-translation with Olivia Harrison) Abraham Serfaty. “Moroccan Jewry and Zionism” in Souffles: A Critical Anthology from the Moroccan Journal of Culture and Politics. Eds. Olivia Harrison and Teresa Villa-Ignacio. Stanford UP, 2015.
- (French-English) Danielle Bohler. “Frontally and in Profile: The Identifying Gesture of the Late Medieval Author” in The Medieval Author in Medieval French Literature. Ed. Virginie Greene. Palgrave, 2006.
- (French-English) “Interviews with Seydou Keita and Malick Sidibé.” You Look Beautiful Like That: The Portrait Photographs of Seydou Keita and Malick Sidibé. Michelle Lamunière. Yale UP, 2002.
Honors and Awards
- American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Fellowship (2015-16)
- Camargo Foundation Fellowship. Residency in Cassis, France. (Fall 2014)
- University of California President’s Faculty Fellowship in the Humanities. (2012-2013)
- Editorial Board, Society for Francophone Postcolonial Studies (2016-2019)
- Member of Modern Language Association, LLC Francophone Forum (2016-2021)
- Area Editor, North African Francophone Literature, The Literary Encyclopedia (2012-2014)